Speech and Debate Teams
Illinois State University is home to a nationally recognized forensics team with 10 national team championships and over 80 individual titles in its history. Forensics at Illinois State offers Lincoln-Douglas policy debate as well as individual speaking events competition in interpretation, public speaking, and limited preparation genres. Members of Illinois State Forensics have the opportunity to travel across the nation. Dedicated members of the team are even eligible for partial tuition waivers and special scholarships. Check out more information about the Speech or Debate teams as well as a new video about forensics!
Share in our pride of the Illinois State Forensics Union. You can help ISU forensics by contributing to the Endowment for Forensics or our Restricted Foundation Account for Forensics. Every gift matters!
- ISU Summer Speech and Debate Institutes are now accepting applications through June 27! For details on Speech click here. For Debate click here.
- Hananiah Wiggins earned a Theatre of Ted performance scholarship!
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Michael Tristano earned the Donald McHenry Fellowship for 2014-2015. Congratulations Mike!
- Congratulations to Robi Mahan for her National Championship in Dramatic Interp and Hananiah Wiggins for earning three final rounds and 5th place overall at the 2014 AFA. ISU had 6 finalists and took 4th place as a team! Thank you to everyone for your support!
- Congrats to Robi Mahan and Mike Tristano for winning Duo Interp at NFA nationals! Laurelai Histed was 4th in Informative Speaking, Mahan was 5th in After Dinner Speaking, and Tristano was 5th in Informative, 5th in Persuasive Speaking, and 11th in Individual Sweepstakes! The team won the Founders Cumulative Sweepstakes Award and placed 5th in open team sweepstakes.
- Congratulations to Robi Mahan for winning After Dinner Speaking at AFA-NIET nationals! Laurelai Histed was 5th in Communication Analysis! The team placed 9th in sweepstakes.
- Congrats to the debate team of Marlon Harris and Anthony Ogbuli for reaching the triple-octos as the 50th seed with prelim record of 5-3 at CEDA nationals. Also, the team of Krystal Barnes and Hillary St. John compiled a 4-4 record in prelims.
- We are looking for a Graduate Teaching Assistant to work with our speech team and forensics program beginning in Fall 2014. The application deadline is February 1st. More information about the position and application procedure can be found in this document.
- We are pleased to announce that Glenn Prince is our new Director of Debate!
- We are pleased to announce that Ganer Newman is our new Assistant Director of Individual Events!
- Congrats to Spring 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award Inductees (Inaugural Class): Mary Turilli, Dr. Richard West, Jeffrey Mangrum, Nelsan Ellis, & Dr. Daniel Sullivan.
- Congrats to Fall 2013 Forensics Hall of Fame Inductees: Dr. William Semlak, Michael Kirch, Andrew Reisman, Jon Neulieb, & Dr. Mona Dworsack-Dodge