ISU Forensics Union
Speech and Debate Teams
Illinois State University is home to a nationally recognized forensics team with 10 national team championships and over 80 individual titles in its history. Forensics at Illinois State offers policy debate teams, individual speaking events, competition in interpretation, public speaking, and limited preparation genres. Members of Illinois State Forensics have the opportunity to travel across the nation. Dedicated members of the team are even eligible for partial tuition waivers and special scholarships. Check out more information about the Speech or Debate teams!
Share in our pride of the Illinois State Forensics Union. You can help ISU forensics by contributing to the Endowment for Forensics or our Restricted Foundation Account for Forensics. Every gift matters!
- Summer Redbird Debate Institute for high school students at ISU (June 23-30, 2013)
- Summer Speech Institute for high school students at ISU (July 14-26, 2013)
- Forensics Advisory Board Business Meeting and Forensics Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (October 6, 2013, 12:00-3:00 p.m., Fell Hall 446)
- The ISU Summer Speech Institute Application is online!
- The ISU Summer Redbird Debate Institute Application is online!
Results at Nationals
- Congrats to Robi Mahan and Mike Tristano for winning Duo Interpretation at NFA nationals! And, to Laurelai Histed for placing 4th in Informative Speaking, Robi Mahan for placing 5th in After Dinner Speaking, and Mike Tristano for placing 5th in Informative Speaking, 5th in Persuasive Speaking, and 11th in Individual Sweepstakes! The team won the Founders Cumulative Sweepstakes Award and placed 5th in open team sweepstakes.
- Congratulations to Robi Mahan for winning After Dinner Speaking at AFA-NIET nationals! And, to Laurelai Histed for placing 5th in Communication Analysis! The team placed 9th in sweepstakes.
- Congrats to the debate team of Marlon Harris and Anthony Ogbuli for reaching the triple-octos as the 50th seed with prelim record of 5-3 at CEDA nationals. Also, the team of Krystal Barnes and Hillary St. John compiled a 4-4 record in prelims.
- We are pleased to announce that Ganer Newman has been hired as our new Assistant Director of Individual Events, beginning in Fall 2013! Ganer comes to us from Western Kentucky University.
- Spring 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award Inductees (Inaugural Class): Mary Turilli, Dr. Richard West, Jeffrey Mangrum, Nelsan Ellis, & Dr. Daniel Sullivan.
- Check out a new story about the Forensics Union on the ISU Stateside magazine!