Biological Sciences Student Association Constitution
Article I: Organization Name and Ratification Date
The name of the organization shall be the Biological Sciences Student Association
This document was ratified on Tuesday, September 28, 2010.
Article II: Purpose Statement . It shall be the purpose of the Biological Sciences Student Association (BSSA) at Illinois State University to provide an intellectual and social network for undergraduate students interested in the many fields of Biological Sciences. We intend to provide information about resources at ISU such as internships and research opportunities for students, to help students with career decisions by sponsoring activities such as field trips and panel presentations and to recognize biology-related achievements of Biological Sciences majors. We will also work with the campus and local community to increase public awareness of Biological Sciences.
Article III: Membership and Eligibility Criteria
Section A: Membership is open to any enrolled ISU student who:
1. Is currently enrolled as a Biological Sciences, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Major or Minor, or any science related Major/Minor
Section C: Dues and collection procedures
1. Dues shall be $20 for the duration of one academic year which is observed as one fall semester and one spring semester, respectively.
2. The fiscal year of the organization, shall be from ______to _____
3. The amount of annual dues shall be determined each year by _____________________
4. Dues shall not exceed $__20___ per year.
5. The disbursement of dues shall not be based on race, creed, religion, sex, or national
Section D: A member may be removed for:
1. The organization and its members agree to adhere to city, state, and national laws, to the Student Code of Conduct, and the RSO Handbook – any member found violating this may be removed from the organization.
Section E: Removal of membership procedures
1. Any member may have their membership revoked by a majority vote of the Executive Board. Any member removed may appeal to the general membership. Said member shall be considered reinstated with two-thirds approval of the members.
Article IV: Voting
Section A: A quorum will be at least 4 members
Section B: Each member in good standing may vote.
Section C: Proxy voting is allowed by the following process: absentee ballots may be collected by the secretary
Article V: Officers
Section A: The BSSA shall have a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Advisor. These officers comprise the Executive Committee.
Section B: All officers must be members of BSSA and currently enrolled within Illinois State University.
Section C: The Advisor must be a full time faculty or staff member within Illinois StateUniversity.
Section D: The term of office shall be from August 15 to August 14 the following year.
Section E: Election of officers shall be held annually in the spring. At least two weeks notice shall be given before the election meeting. Nominations shall be initiated from the floor and elections done by ballot. The person receiving majority vote will be elected.
Section F: Any officer may be removed from membership by a majority vote of the Executive Board. Any officer removed may appeal to the general membership. Said officer shall be considered reinstated with two-thirds approval of the members.
Section G: Any vacancy which may occur in an office shall be filled by appointment by the president pending ratification at the next group business meeting.
Article VI: Duties of Officers
Section A: The President
1. The president shall be the chief executive officer
2. The president shall appoint all committee chairpersons
3. The president, with approval of the executive board, directs the budget
4. Vacancies in offices will be filled by appointment of the president with approval of the general membership.
Section B: The Vice President
1. The vice president shall be the parliamentarian for the organization
2. The vice president shall assume the duties of the president should the office become vacant, or in the absence of the president
3. The vice president will keep and have available current copies of the constitution and bylaws
4. The vice president will be responsible for scheduling programs
5. The vice president will perform other duties as directed by the president
Section C: The Secretary
1. The secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of all meetings and the meetings of the executive board
2. The secretary will provide a copy of the minutes for each officer and keep a master file
3. The secretary shall maintain a complete and accurate account of attendance and membership status
4. The secretary will perform other duties as directed by the president
Section D: Treasurer
- The treasurer shall be responsible of all financial obligations of the Biological Sciences Student Association
- The treasurer will collect dues from all members associated with the Biological Sciences Student Association
Section E: Advisor
1. The advisor shall assist the group in the execution of roles and responsibilities
2. The advisor shall provide feedback to the organization regarding its operation and functioning
3. The advisor shall serve as a resource
4. The advisor should provide advice upon request, and also should share knowledge and expertise
5. The advisor shall be a full time faculty or staff member of Illinois State University
6. The advisor will be a nonvoting member of the organization
Article VII: Group Committee Structure
Section A: The following committees (other than executive board) shall be appointed by the president subject to ratification by the organization during a regular business meeting
1.___No subcommittees at this time._________________________________
Section B: The duties of the standing committees shall include:
Article VIII: Notice of Meetings
Section A: The times for regularly scheduled meetings shall be announced to the membership via email listserv, posted flyers and website.
Section B: At least 7 days notice shall be given for each regular business meeting
Section C: Special or emergency meetings may be called with less than 1 day’s notice by the executive board.
Section D: The meetings shall include a quorum, order of business, and disposition of the minutes.
Article IX: Parliamentary Procedure
Section A: Robert’s Rules of Order Revised shall be followed by the organization in all cases involving parliamentary procedure when it does not conflict with the constitution.